Alumni Association News
Letter From the Executive Director
The University of Maryland Alumni Association is your association. It’s here to not only support the university, but also enrich your life socially, personally and professionally.
Therefore, we take your input seriously. Recently, nearly 5,000 Terps responded to our survey asking about everything from your experience as students to impressions of the association to what types of programs and events you most crave.
Alumni like you resoundingly shared a positive opinion of the university and that your No. 1 priority for the Alumni Association is to help improve your career. (See more below.)
Thanks to this revealing feedback, the Alumni Association has taken the following steps to serve you better:
• Launching our first-ever Career Week, when more than 2,000 Terps registered for 21 events designed to help you gain skills, network with Terps in their industry and connect with career-boosting resources at the Alumni Association.
• Expanding our investment in Terrapins Connect, our online networking and mentoring platform exclusively for the Terp community.
• Increasing our programming during Black History Month earlier this year, as a kickoff to our inaugural Black Alumni Weekend, coming in Spring 2022.
• Amplifying alumni-owned businesses through the #TerpBusiness initiative to encourage Terps to do business with other Terps.
• Enhancing the content in our Alumni Blog, which is already reaching more than 4,000 Terps a month.
• Revamping our website to help you more easily find the resources you want.
Your Alumni Association is fearlessly committed to your success. Stay tuned for more valuable programs and experiences.
University of Maryland Alumni Association
A Celebration of Terps:
Featuring The Maryland Awards
The Alumni Association’s annual gala was reimagined this year, with guests attending a virtual awards ceremony on April 23 during the week of events celebrating the inauguration of UMD President Darryll J. Pines. Thank you to all who joined us in honoring the achievements of six outstanding Terps:
President’s Award: Jody K. Olsen Ph.D. ’79, former Peace Corps director
Outstanding Young Alumnus Award: Jazz Lewis ’11, MPP ’14, Maryland state delegate, Democratic House Caucus chair
Do Good Award: L. Seth Statler MBA ’87, director of government affairs, National Fire Protection Association
Tyser Gottwals Award: Wanda Alexis Alexander ’81, president and CEO, WAA-LLC
Elaine Johnson Coates Award: Joseph Kunkel M.Arch. ’09, principal, MASS Design Group, and director, SNC DL
Spirit of Maryland Award: Johnny Holliday, the “Voice of Maryland Basketball and Football”
Learn more about these distinguished Terps at celebrateterps.umd.edu.
The Results Are In
We asked, and you answered. Thank you to all of our alumni who participated in our 2020 Alumni Survey. With your input we gleaned valuable insights about what you want from us during and after the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are your top eight priorities:
1. Help alumni find jobs
2. Provide industry-based networking opportunities
3. Help alumni gain new skills to advance their careers
4. Provide regional alumni networks
5. Provide an outlet for mentoring and advising current students
6. Provide opportunities to support alumni-owned businesses
7. Elevate underrepresented communities
8. Share news about what’s happening on campus and in College Park
For more survey insights, visit go.umd.edu/surveyresults.
Here are just three of the ways the Alumni Association has expanded programming to meet your needs.
TERRAPINS CONNECT JOB BOARD
The newest feature of our mentorship platform, a job board, is a great place to search for open positions, or share a hiring opportunity at your organization with fellow Terps. The board is a one-stop shop for your career needs, allowing you to network with alumni at a particular organization, including connecting directly with the Terp referral or hiring manager. Get started at terrapinsconnect.umd.edu.
While we’re all awaiting a full return to normalcy, there are plenty of ways to reinvigorate your senses right in your own backyard. Terp Trips are returning with Maryland-themed, safe, family-friendly, on-your-own day excursions in the DMV or wherever you live. You’ll find many opportunities to support Terp-owned businesses along the way. Plan your itinerary at alumni.umd.edu/travel.
JUNE 2-4, 2021
What do Google, Beyond Meat, Under Armour, Fortnite and Oculus have in common? They were all founded by Terps! Join us for the second annual EnTERPreneur Conference with keynote speaker Ethan Brown MPM ’97, founder and CEO of Beyond Meat. Connect with resources at UMD to help start or grow your business venture. Network with other Terp entrepreneurs, investors and advisers and form relationships that will prepare your startup for success. Learn more at alumni.umd.edu/EnTERPreneur-Conference-2021.
Leave a Reply
* indicates a required field